Making Sense of the Georgia Trump RICO Pleas (Vol. I)
Three lawyers (so far) have plead guilty in the Georgia State RICO case. I had so many questions about what these pleas and sentencings really meant – for the lawyers who entered them, the remaining defendants, and the pending federal matters.
But, I don’t practice in Georgia state court.
Therefore, I put out the “bat signal” on the NACDL listserve and found two wonderful lawyers to help us break it all down: Thomas Church & Jeff Brickman.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- First Offender Act sentencings in Georgia;
- Consequences for violating these agreements;
- Remorse, acceptance, and letters of apology;
- Significant differences between state and federal diversion pleas;
- The efficacy of pleading in GA, when they still likely face federal charges;
- The possibilty of deals being already in place with Jack Smith (i.e. “global resolution”);
- The beef over Jenna’s legal fees;
- Predictions for what comes next.